Bristol City produce a stunning comeback to win their first league game of the season.



When you’ve gone 21 games without a league win, stretching back to March of this year, you’ll take three points by hook or by crook or even by a last minute, blatant handball, never went across the line goal.

This is the situation Bristol City found themselves in on a blustery Saturday afternoon in Cumbria as they made the 500 mile round trip up to Carlisle.

At 1-0 down at half time, you could have been forgiven for notching another ‘L’ in the recent form column for City, but there’s a good reason for the cliché ‘a game of two halves’.

A superb, spirited 34 minute comeback saw City turn their 1-0 deficit into a stunning 4-2 victory – their first away win of 2013.

The hero of the hour was Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who netted his first senior hat trick to lift his side off the bottom of League One and sending the jubilant 364 travelling supporters into raptures.

The other City scorer was former Charlton winger Scott Wagstaff who netted his fourth of the season which put City 3-1 to the good.

After seeing their side fail to register a victory since a home win over Middlesborough on March 9, the away fans were most probably expecting the worst out of this trip.

However, once again football proved what a wholly unpredictable affair it can be, providing the loyal Robins fans with four opportunities to celebrate.

Nobody will be more relieved that under pressure boss Sean O’Driscoll who has been incurring the wrath of the Ashton gate terraces in recent weeks.

Despite revelling in the excellent victory, O’Driscoll requested that his assistant John Pemberton faced the media after the game.

Speaking to the Bristol Post, Pemberton explained that the victory has been long overdue,

“We’ve played better football and lost, but the boys were prepared to scrap for the result today.

“I know it’s a cliché but goals really do change games and that’s what happened today, we scored goals at good times and it took the pressure off us.”

Hat-trick hero Emmanuel-Thomas dedicated the victory to the loyal Robins fans who’d made the journey up to Cumbria,

“That one’s for the fans” Emannuel-Thomas told the Bristol Post,

“This is such a long journey and we know it’s going to take hours for them to get home. They’ve backed us all season and really deserved a win.”

Whilst the victory still leaves City deep in relegation mire, the three points does at least provide optimism that the team, so bereft of confidence before Saturday’s game, can haul themselves out of the bottom four and avoid the trap door to League Two.

City’s next opportunity to register three points comes next Saturday (2nd) at Ashton Gate where they will attempt to notch up their first home victory of the season against Oldham Athletic.